Did You know that:-
1) CAVRA is one of scores of Independent Lifeboats around the coast of the UK?
2) Since its inception in 1998, CAVRA has been available to assist during:-Searches for Missing Persons, on Land and Sea. During Weather related incidents such as Civil Contingencies. Storms, Floods, Snow, Drought etc.
3) Initially, this was only within the Cardiff Bay and Vale of Glamorgan area. However in October 2013 the organization changed its name and expanded its areas of operation to the Civil Aid Voluntary Rescue Association or (C.A.V.R.A.), as it was felt this did not tie us to any geographical area, and more adequately reflected what we actually do.
4) CAVRA has been a registered Charity since September 2000 ( Registered Number 1088563.)
5) All members are CRB/DBS checked to Enhanced level, trained in First Aid, from a basic level up to advanced. They are also trained in the use of our communications equipment searching for missing persons and Map Reading.
6) All members of CAVRA are Volunteers – There are NO Paid Staff.
7) CAVRA has trained its Volunteers to the highest standards and submitted documentation to the Maritime & Coastguard Agency in compliance with the Under 15 Metre Rescue Boat Code in May 2009, as well as training its volunteers with Rescue 3 accredited providers. volunteers are trained and hold qualifications including basic water rescue, swift water rescue technicians, rescue from vehicle in flood water and swift water and flood rescue boat operators.
8) CAVRA is a DEFRA Approved Type “B” Flood Rescue Team.
(This means that we have a 7 man team with a powered boat.) CAVRA is also part of the All-Wales Flood Response Team, as well as being part of the UK National response operated by DEFRA.
9) There are NO paid staff, and we do not own, or rent any buildings.
10) 100% of any donations go directly to aid our vital lifesaving services.
11) CAVRA is available 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year.
12) CAVRA raises its costs from Public donations, Grants, collections etc.
13) CAVRA are active members of local Voluntary Service Councils.
e.g. Glamorgan Voluntary Services (formerly the Vale Centre for Voluntary Servies), Cardiff Third Sector Council (C3SC). and many others
14) CAVRA has its own Communications Infrastructure and can operate independently of other organisations if required.
15) We have 4 fixed wide area bases stations and 1 mobile wide area base station, plus a number of back-to-back channels.
16) All the above equipment can be operated in Analogue or Digital modes. Some members are also radio amateurs, who, can access amateur frequencies. Donations are always welcome!
Thank you for taking the time to read this.